have your cake

|
A few weeks ago, I was working hard in the kitchen and trying to take advantage of my precious few minutes of dual-naptime. When Cooper woke up, my thoughts immediately went to how I could distract him long enough for me to finish the birthday cake I was working on. Then, I remembered something that my friend, Melissa, had said on her blog not too long ago. Her kids asked her, out of the blue, if they could make cookies... and she just said "yes"! The sentiment that stuck with me was this: "I love being their hero every once in a while."

I so often say "no". Sadly, sometimes even when I don't need to. Wouldn't you want a mom who would do the unexpected? the gracious? the just-for-fun?

Humming "Wind Beneath My Wings" to myself, I scooped Cooper out of bed and asked him if he wanted to help mommy bake a cake. He dumped in a few ingredients, watched with fascination as I cracked the eggs, and then (the part I had been waiting for)... I gave him the batter-covered beaters.

My ever-cautious firstborn.  
Is this a trick?


Whoa! Not a trick.


Hmmm. This would make a pretty awesome paintbrush.


Nah. Tastes too good for that.


Must. get. more. in. mouth.


Can we do this every day?!


Happy mommy + happy Cooper = Dino-Cake!

2 comments:

millie smith said...

you totally get "best mama" points for this one. we must talk cakes! i can't believe we haven't talked cakes yet. i took a class a while ago, made a few, not so much lately but the couple i've seen of yours are UBER CUTE. i'm super impressed you can crank that dino cake out with the two little ones around!

Mrs Somebody Else said...

i don't know if you remember my Discovery Channel VHS Video collection of "Walking with Dinosaurs" that i was obsessed with in college But - having watching those 6 hours worth of tapes on a regular basis - i am kind of an expert on dinos and... i am super impressed with your cake. :)